Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Video Reflection 5: The Story of Stuff - Annie Leonard

"We only have 1 world".

You know, I've heard that phrase repeated so many times its desensitized its impact on me. It just doesn't incite the same sense of urgency it once did when I was growing up watching Captain Planet. Its sad, really, and to be honest, I'm quite ashamed of myself for not caring as much as I used to.

Annie Leonard explains this video as plainly and simply as possible, with the purpose of reaching out to anyone & everyone, because the message is a truly global affair. While the video may not have the seriousness of other shock tactic documentary style videos, it does possess an honestly urgent message, and one most people, myself included, turn a blind eye over.

In the video she targets consumerism as the primary cause of the global degradation of resources and the declining state of the environment. I agree with her. She also outs the governments & corporations to be the main contributors and source of these problems. Again, I agree with her. While her enthusiasm is what I like to describe as borderline hippie, its hard to disregard the impacts of our current use of linear production systems and their devastating effects on not only our planet, but our culture, society & way of life, especially when faced with the figures she demonstrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment