Thursday, July 30, 2009

Shape of a Scent

The scent given to my group was 'V', which I would later learn to be Spirit by Antonio Banderas.

Now, I may not have the most refined sense of smell, but one thing was clear, this was obviously a woman's (or very effeminate man's) fragrance. The fragrance was floral with woody undertones. It possessed an air of confidence whilst still preserving that distinct femininity. There was an allure within the perfume which gave the impression of comfort and respect. This is not a fragrance worn by a high school girl or teenager, no, this is worn by a woman confident in her ability and sexuality.

When associating the scent with memories and emotions a few distinct images came to mind; The confident woman with an almost motherly affection and embrace. Summer air, a warmth wafting in the breeze. Smooth texture, almost silken and free of common shape.

For my first concept I wanted to put emphasis on the motherly connotations the scent brought forth. The shape I modeled around was a mothers loving hug. The 'arms' envelop a central negative space giving the impression of a hug while a 'head' looks over the space in a caring fashion. I went for a stylised form of flower petal, hinting towards the floral aroma of the fragrance.

Photobucket

My second concept I went for a more literal approach and attacked the floral components of the fragrance. I went for a trinity of petals because of the strength of the number 3, relating to the confidence the scent exudes. I aimed to make the petals waft, almost float and dance, hence it being raised off the base.

Photobucket

For my third concept I focused solely on the embracing and uplifting nature of the fragrance. By twisting two lengths of plasticine onto each other I created an intimate intertwining of mass which spiralled upwards.

Photobucket

For my final design I decided to elaborate upon my first concept. I felt this image of the mother and her embrace were the dominant, for me at least, emotions and memories the fragrance brought forth.

I deviated from the original concept by making the petals more stylised and elegant, without appearing frail. The bloom in the centre is carefully watched over by the older petal surrounding it. Rather than go for a more upright 'head' figure, I laid it slightly on its side, watching over the centre, without being too overbearing. I created a base for the centre rather than leaving it an empty hole, instead creating a pocket.

Photobucket

Overall I am pretty pleased with my final design. There are certain aspects now, looking back at the photos, that I would like to change. The design is, admittedly, too floral and not entirely practical to manufacture. But as a learning exercise I believe it was quite enriching.

It's just annoying trying to get plasticine off my hands afterwards...

No comments:

Post a Comment